Short skirts and shorts are considered basic staple pieces in a girl’s wardrobe. They are usually worn as a casual wear over the weekends, often with t-shirts or tank tops. The thing is, short skirts and shorts are also some of the most versatile clothing that you can mix and match easily your other outfits. You can be really creative and create lots of different looks with them.
There is a misconception that only slim girls can pull off short skirts and shorts. By following some of these guidelines and tips, you too can achieve a trendy look regardless of your size.
1. Choose the right type of skirt and shorts
• Tight mini skirts and shorts are more suitable for younger teens, or slim and long-legged women.
• To achieve a more mature or classy look, minis that don’t cling will be perfect for you like those skirts with kilts, wraps and pleats.
• High-waist shorts and skirts can make your legs look longer.
• Another option is by wearing leggings with your shorts and skirts. Dark colored leggings such as black, chocolate brown, plums and steel grays are more mature looking, while lighter colors are more suited for teenagers. Leggings will emphasize the legs. Patterned stockings, fishnets, and half- leggings are also another options to show your versatility and creativity.
2. Choose the right shoes.
• To achieve a more girlish look, you can wear wedges or ballet flats to pair with your shorts or skirts. If you are taller, you can also wear flats with ankle straps to emphasize your long legs (not advisable for those who are shorter).
• Heels look best for a night out.
• Pairing boots with skirts is also a great idea for a stylish look. Its best to avoid wearing knee-high black boots with shorts because they are difficult to pull off and can give other people a ‘cheap’ feel. Choosing a pair of boots in a tone that’s similar to your skin color will help to elongate your legs.
• Wedges are great with mini skirts or shorts as it makes you look taller
3. Choose the right top
• With tight mini skirts, you can wear long or voluminous tops to go with them. It will help to generate a sexy chic vibe.
• You can tuck in your top into your shorts or short skirts to emphasize your waistline. Cinching your waist with a belt will have a better effect.
• When matching plain sleeveless top with a short skirt or shorts, you can layer it with a cardigan and wear a colorful bead necklace to create a more youthful, fun and trendy look.
• Don’t just follow the trend. Choose a short skirt or shorts that are not just appropriate for your body type, but also reflects your style and personality at the same time. There are all kinds of styles, from the classic, the trendy, the demure to the sporty, so pick a style that is best suited for you.
• Wear the right underwear under your short skirts or shorts. If they are a little tighter, its best to wear a seamless panty or a G-string to avoid VPL (Visible Panty Line). VPL is an ugly sight and every woman should make an effort to avoid them.
• We all know that not all women are blessed with long, skinny legs, but that doesn’t need to stop you from wearing shorts and skirts. You just have to identify what are the best ways to wear them. If worn correctly, it will help create a height illusion on a girl, even though she might not be tall.
Here’s more pictures for your inspiration:
Check out K-Styleme for the latest Korean fashion
(Photo Credits to: fashion.163.com)